Thursday 12 September 2013

Buffet lunch at Village Restaurant

Last week I was at Village Restaurant for lunch.
I was there for the buffet. One thing I have learned is that food in the buffet is good only its first hour and like always, I couldn't make it there before the last.
So here is my review of the last week's meal there:

Soups-I didn't find them named and so I had to go for the colour to have thick Thai soup. Soup was average, but I wasn't there to judge their soup. I don't expect them to make the best soup in the world either since I have known them to specialize on BBQ.

Chicken Biryani- This was something really interesting. The aroma kept calling me and I didn't resist. However, I was disappointed with the flavour. Kalijeera overpowered the whole dish and I would have wished for subtle taste of all the ingredients used rather than just one strong flavour. Meat was nice and tender though and the rice was perfectly cooked.

Steamed rice- I liked their choice of rice here and was fluffy and perfectly cooked. It is perfect to complement curry or daal.

Chicken Karai- I picked the breast piece. I expected it to be dry after being out here for so long and they try to retain as much moisture as possible using a foil cover, but that is not possible when you have to take it off to serve the guests every now and then. Yet I went for this dish to check the sauce.
Sauce was nice, cumin gives a pleasant taste and all other spices are balanced well to make it a really good dish.

Naan- Naan was okay but it could be a little fluffier.

Grilled vegetable- I didn't like it so much. It was mainly because of the contrast. Hard carrots didn't go well with soft grilled bell peppers.

Beef Sheekh Kebab- Now this is something they claim to specialize on; BBQ items! Sheekh kebab was quite traditional and had a nice texture, was moist and tastes good with the tamarind sauce they serve. The sauce that complements it is very good. Yet I was disappointed. I was looking for the smoky flavour and I found not a hint of it there. So last night I went to check the kitchen and the charcoal used didn't have enough carbon like pure coal to emit that aroma either. It is kind of difficult to get the taste you get from coal with charcoal.
In many parts of the world food is smoked using particular kind of charcoal or wood chips to infuse certain flavours into the food. The wrong type of wood can ruin it too.

Firni- This was a delight. It was done to perfection. I would have liked a bit of a contrast from the garnish but the almonds were too thinly sliced to give that crunchy bite.

Malai Kulfi- The balance was totally ruined by the malai. Malai was too sweet and sweetness of that level can give you stomach cramps.

I wouldn't say I had the best lunch, but i have tasted worse.
It ended with a cup of tea and if the saying " All's well that ends well" is true, then I think it went well.

The real attraction of this place to me certainly wasn't the food yet, but the interior. By the time its evening, it looks like you are in perfect picturesque village from the second floor with the trees around adding to the beauty. The ground-floor is designed to make you feel like you are dining in a well organized local restaurant outside the city. You may start to feel different though after you look into the menu, but until then, everything is village-like.

Service was good but can be better.

Food needs more work. This is a nicely decorated place with so much space for preparations. It will be a real shame if all those brilliant ideas go down only because what is served on the plate isn't that great. So I have decided to help any way I can to lift this place up, because I need to have good places in the city to dine at.
They have people who can cook, but it's time to avoid those slight errors to serve delights on the plate.

No comments:

Post a Comment