Tuesday 11 June 2013

Buffet at The Westin:


I know they don't serve the best food for the main course, but their desserts are good. Honestly I have never eaten good here. But then what are the chefs for? Are their chefs qualified for the job?
First I felt they used 0 sense in arrangement. The bread and butter are next to the desserts, and you can't see the desserts from the tables in the front. There is no sign either to direct you unless you get up from your chair and move around before you go "Hey! They hid the good food there!"
So here is my review of the food I tried.

Sushi-nicely made.I have no complain about it. Wasabi paste is always there to help me swallow raw fish without realizing the sharp smell or taste. But its the cold rice and wasabi paste with it why I enjoy sushi so much.

Sirloin steak with herb sauce. The sauce tastes okay. There was nothing special about the sauce.
I love steaks and I hate wasting food. I hated their steaks and I was forced to waste, and I feel sorry for that. May the Almighty forgive me. I really hope they don't dump the two pieces in garbage cause they were untouched and could be given to the hungry beggars outside.

Mashed potato-nicely seasoned. Nothing special here.

Snapper-It was overdone, dry and lacks seasoning.

Butterflied shrimps-The first batch wasn't anything to talk about. Then when I complained to the chef named Sushanto, he personally prepared me Lemon butter garlic sauce on request and grilled a couple of butterflied shrimps. You have to go try to believe me when I say this was the best seafood dish I have tried in the city.
The shrimps were grilled perfectly and nicely seasoned. But what takes it to a different level is the sauce he prepared on request. The sauce was silky, smooth and creamy, garlicky and lemony with the clear taste of butter and all the flavours blended so nicely together. If I am to mark, this dish gets 9 out of 10. This saved my dinner.

Chicken chapli kebab- It was really good.

One thing I know now their chefs can cook and have the potential. Then why don't they serve well?
When you have talented chefs but the kitchen keeps serving food you can't enjoy, then there must be something wrong with the management, including the head or executive chef.

Desserts:
Chocolate creme brulee- It tasted good, and cinnamon overpowered chocolate here. Chocolate and cinnamon, both have strong taste. If chocolate's taste was dominated by cinnamon, then they might have used too much of it.The texture was close to that of a pudding
What still baffles me is the name. There was nothing burnt or smoky about that dessert and "brulee" means burnt.
Chocolate pudding-Really good, but why not call it a truffle, cause the texture was close to one. It was more like brownies with chocolate sauce. I have eaten truffles like what was served to me as chocolate pudding tonight.
Mango cheese cake-This has to be the best dessert there for me. It was garnished with mango jelly and decorated chocolate disc. There was a balance between the flavours of mango and cheese. Well done Chef!
Sorbets-Mango and berry sorbets were the best I have had in the city. I liked the texture. It was smooth and like gelato, n yet fruity and sorbet. But the ice cream spoons were sticky from contacts and you don't like it holding a dirty spoon that makes your hand sticky when scooping out sorbets.
I cant say I am a happy guest. 4Grands for food is a big deal in a country like Bangladesh and food wasn't worth the price.
Ambiance was okay, but not the best.
Front of house was okay, but can be better.

No comments:

Post a Comment